Sunday, August 3, 2008

Musings from Blackfly Season


  • When I squish blackflies on my face, is their cause of death blunt trauma or drowning in saltwater?
  • How many calories are in a blackfly? There’s not much meat on one, but think of them like grains of sand on a beach. With as many as I caught in my tent each night, I could have had a hearty meal. They already flavored my oatmeal and pasta. I’m surprised I didn’t choke by breathing them in.
  • Do blackfly guts count as hair-care products? After a few days, I had more of that on my scalp than shampoo.
  • If humans are 80% water, how much water is in a blackfly? It sounded like it was raining when I sat in my tent, but it was the ticking of many dozen blackflies throwing themselves against the tent wall. I put on my raincoat to go outside, with the hood up and the sleeves cinched tight around my wrists. I used my scarf more for insect protection than for its intended purpose.
  • Do insects make inter-species alliances? I could usually escape blackflies by jumping into a river. At the Cedar River Flow near Wakely Dam, however, I was nibbled above by flies and below by fish. That was not fair.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Ooh! You are back in the world of web! Welcome. Also, I'd like to know if black flies can telepathically connect to Minnesota mosquitoes...as they are rather vicious this year.